A band in St. Augustine circa 1900

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Let's Start a Band!

St. Johns County is the only county in the area that does not have a community band.

Let's change that!



What kind of band will this be? I think it needs to be a concert band. I want it to be open to everyone, regardless of their musical skills - no auditions. The emphasis should be on having fun. We shouldn't be worrying about mistakes or whether we are good enough to be a member of the group. If you do your best, your best is good enough. 

I am an amateur musician in search of other amateur musicians in the St. Augustine area. For the last couple years, it has been my hope to form a community concert band in St. Augustine. Bit by bit, I am making connections and I am very close to having the core of a band. I currently have about a dozen names of musicians who are interested in forming a band in St. Johns County. 

About my background: I am a comeback trumpet player. After an almost forty year lapse, I resumed playing trumpet early in 2009. I have been the leader of an ensemble, but I have no experience as the director of a band, and I do not wish to be director of a band. My only desire is to see the formation of a band in St. Augustine and be one of its members.